1-888-993-3112

Dogs Instead Of Children?

Question:

What’s your view on a mother who uses her own children as underdogs? She finds faults with all four daughters, gossiping about one daughter to another. Would you say she never should have had children? She did say she wished she had dogs instead of children…

Answer:

My first thought is that this mother probably treats everyone this way. It’s my opinion that the mother has personal issues that need to be addressed. Often times we put down others when we have low self-esteem. I’ve seen similar situations before. I’ve known individuals to get so wrapped up in their own little world of gossip and game playing that they lose sight of what really matters. Chances are that the daughters reinforce her behavior by listening to what she has to say. Has anyone confronted the mother and pointed her actions out to her? I think the daughters hold the key in helping their mother improve her social skills. As long as the mother has someone to listen to her, she will continue to gossip… Best of luck, – Anne