What’s your view on a mother who uses her own children as underdogs? She finds faults with all four daughters, gossiping about one daughter to another. Would you say she never should have had children? She did say she wished she had dogs instead of children…
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
My first thought is that this mother probably treats everyone this way. It’s my opinion that the mother has personal issues that need to be addressed. Often times we put down others when we have low self-esteem. I’ve seen similar situations before. I’ve known individuals to get so wrapped up in their own little world of gossip and game playing that they lose sight of what really matters. Chances are that the daughters reinforce her behavior by listening to what she has to say. Has anyone confronted the mother and pointed her actions out to her? I think the daughters hold the key in helping their mother improve her social skills. As long as the mother has someone to listen to her, she will continue to gossip… Best of luck, – Anne