Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Dont Understand Me


Things that happen to me often: I get angry for no reason usually get mad with the person I am with at that time(could be my friend,boyfriend,family members). When that happens I want to run away from that person and everybody around me.I want to lock myself in my room. Usually it helps to be alone for little while. In a situation like that I usually take a nap or at least lay in bed. I will get out from my room like a new person(well rested and happy again). The problem is it’s not always possible to get away and that irritates me more! I also avoid people and parties. I would stay up for 2 to 3 hrs and head back. My biggest problem of all is I don’t know what to do with myself! When I don’t have to work or don’t work all I can’t find anything to keep myself busy. I would wake up, get ready, start cleaning, doing Laundry, etc. That takes only 3 to 4hrs and by 12 noon I’m all done and bored! I can’t come up with anything. As a result my relationship suffers. Please help me to understand myself!

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

It appears that you are struggling with a number of problems. First, you seem to have difficulties controlling your anger. It could be that your are experiencing depression and anxiety and those might explain the anger. Another possibility is, along with depression, you might have a social phobia. Certainly, you seem to experience low self esteem. Another possibility is that you have ADHD or Bipolar disorder.

Therefore, it is my suggestion that you enter psychotherapy and start getting help for yourself. The way to start is to tell the psychologist or clinical social worker all of your symptoms as you have done here. Then, the best type of therapy could be recommended. Perhaps cognitive behavioral therapy or dialectical behavior therapy would be best for you. The type of therapy will depend upon your diagnosis and might even include the use of medication.

Based on what you have reported here I really do want to urge you to enter psychotherapy so that you can begin to understand yourself and no longer have to experience these symptoms.

Best of Luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand