Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Drug Addict Son


hi, we have a 32 year old son, who in the last couple of years has been using drugs. i am very naive in this area, i am not sure what drugs he is using. we have tried to help him, he went to rehab a couple of times, but obviously didn’t work. he is always phoning for money, and i was stupid enough to give it to him. he has no job now or anywhere to live. he is not allowed to stay at our house anymore, because he has stolen from us, and broken in to the house while we were away. i don’t know what to do anymore or where to go for help. he appears to be getting desperate and he scares me now. what can we do?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

First of all, don’t be so hard on yourself. You love your son and of course you want to take care of him as best you can. It is easy to let your loving and concerned feelings make you into an enabler of his drug addiction. You aren’t the first parent to make this mistake, and you certainly won’t be the last.


p> Because your son is an adult, there is actually little you can do to influence his choices and behavior. You can express to him that you love him, you can tell him that he needs help and you can point him towards that help. You cannot force him to take advantage of that help, however, and you cannot save him from the consequences of his poor choices either.


p> Something you can do for yourself and your own sanity is to get yourself involved with a group like Al Anon. Al Anon is a group for family members of alcoholics, based on the twelve step traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous. Al Anon can offer you support from peers who are dealing with the same sorts of problems you are dealing with, and time-tested guidelines for dealing with addicted family members that will help keep you from being taken advantage of.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand