Family Boundaries


My parents were married at 18 & are now 59 yrs old. My father has had several DWI’s and my mother gave him the ultimatum that he should go to seek professional help or she was gone. My father went and has been doing well. Recently, however, my father confided to my sister that part of his problem is that he was not satisfied with his marriage. He has asked my mother to go for marriage counseling. Her reply was no!, That he should go solve his own problems first. My questions are this…. should we children get involved?, if so how? and do you think my mother’s stance has any validity?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

According to psychologists who study such things, families have (or are supposed to have) things called boundaries (or privacy lines) so as to set off important sub-groups within them. There is supposed to be a boundary between parents and children that exists to separate the parents and the children. In a good functioning marriage, parental problems stay within the marriage and don’t leak out over the kids. This being said, you are an adult child, and you are involved already. I can understand why you would want to assist. My guess is that your mother is quite angry with your father over his drinking, and that even though he is currently doing “well” as you say, her anger has not been addressed. No wonder their marriage is not doing too well. Your father’s impulse to get them both into marital therapy would seem to be a good one. Marriage therapy would be a good environment for both parties to air out their grievances safely. Your mother’s stance has validity! It is her stance and reflects how she feels! What I wonder, however, is if she fully understands that therapy would be equally a place for her to express herself as much as for her husband to express himself. She may think that therapy would just be a place where she would be on the defensive. You might talk with her (if you are so inclined) and help her to understand that therapy would be a place where she could discuss her own dissatisfaction with the marriage. She might not be so refusing to try out therapy if she knew that the therapist would treat her own complains and pain equally with those of her husband. When you talk with your mother, you might mention these things to her and see if it opens her mind any. Plant your seed and then get out of the way. After all, it is their marriage and not your own.

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists