1-888-993-3112

Fear Of Driving

Question:

I have a fear of driving. It doesn’t bother me to get in a car or going on long road trips or how fast my husband drives. I fear just thinking of driving a car myself that I almost throw-up. What can help my problem here? Thanks for any help you can give.

Answer:

You may have what is called a “phobia”, or (in English) a fear of something. There are several different common sorts of phobias, including social phobia (fear of negative social evaluation), agoraphobia (fear of leaving the house usually for fear of having a panic attack), and simple phobia (fear of specific things such as spiders, heights, closed spaces, dogs or (maybe in your case) driving a car. Phobias are usually very treatable conditions. The thing to do is to seek out a cognitive behavioral (or behavioral) psychologist. Psychologists with this sort of training will either know specifically how to help you or will know someone who can. Good luck.