Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Fear Of Driving


I have a fear of driving. It doesn’t bother me to get in a car or going on long road trips or how fast my husband drives. I fear just thinking of driving a car myself that I almost throw-up. What can help my problem here? Thanks for any help you can give.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

You may have what is called a “phobia”, or (in English) a fear of something. There are several different common sorts of phobias, including social phobia (fear of negative social evaluation), agoraphobia (fear of leaving the house usually for fear of having a panic attack), and simple phobia (fear of specific things such as spiders, heights, closed spaces, dogs or (maybe in your case) driving a car. Phobias are usually very treatable conditions. The thing to do is to seek out a cognitive behavioral (or behavioral) psychologist. Psychologists with this sort of training will either know specifically how to help you or will know someone who can. Good luck.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand