1-888-993-3112

Fear

Question:

Why do I feel like im going to die all the time? I’m scared and then, when I drink something with my friends, it gets worse. All I want to do is get my life back on track. I like to have fun with my kids and family but every time I want to do that it won’t happen. What can I do I? I won’t even clean my house. Thats not me at all. Please help me. What is it?

Answer:

There are two problems that go hand in hand and they are depression and anxiety. My guess is that you are struggling with both. However, the internet is no place and no way to make a diagnosis. That is why you must see either your medical doctor or a psychologist or clinical social worker to start to get help. They can give you a diagnosis and recommend the proper treatment.

Please know that drinking alcohol will not help at all. In fact, as you are discovering, alcohol will always make it worse. The reason is that, after drinking, the same problems are there and it’s possible to feel even worse than before having a drink. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. In addition, it can add to feelings of depression. What you are doing is called “self medicating.” It’s much better to start with your doctor who can prescribe medication that will help. If it doesn’t, he can refer you to a psychiatrist for treatment. In the end, it will be the combination of medication and psychotherapy that will help the most.

Fear is delilitating and depression leaves you without energy to clean the house or do the other things you want to do. You most certainly should be able to have fun with your family and friends. That is why it’s important that you do not wait. Get help now and you can start to feel better. Most likely, your doctor will prescribe anti depressant medications that alsos relieve anxiety. He may also prescribe anti anxiety medications along with the anti depressant. I want to encourage you to enter psychotherapy as well and he can refer you for that. A clinical psychologist or clinical social worker is the best way to go for therapy.