1-888-993-3112

Feel Like Something's Wrong

Question:

Hi, I have been diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety and depression. I have been on so many different meds but nothing works and my psychologist doesn’t know what’s really the matter. I can’t sleep at night, I get involutantry movements which I can sometimes control but when i can’t it feels like I black out and I don’t remember anything. I can never remember anything and always repeat myself. I get really bad shakes and the sweats and my head feels like im going crazy. And my body some times feels like its shutting down, as my drink got spiked last year with a new lethal drug called PMA and nearly died. What’s you opinion..

Answer:

PMA is a dangerous drug that is classified by the government as a schedule 1 hallucinogen. It is very concerning that your drink got spiked but it is equally concerning that you were drinking. From what you report, you have been on many psychiatric drugs and all of them do not mix well with alcohol. In fact, if you were drinking while taking medications it begs the question of whether those medications ever had the chance to help you. Having said that, there are questions about how much good drugs can do for PTSD.

Generally speaking, PTSD is being treated with aggressive cognitive behavior therapies that use systematic desensitization or exposure therapy. Both of these are based on the idea that the PTSD patient be exposed to the very situation that caused the PTSD in the first place but with the result that the patient learns that they are now safe and can no longer be affected by what caused the PTSD. The psychodynamic talking therapies where a patient talks about their childhood does not work.

You should speak to your psychologist about these treatment. In additon, you should refrain from drinking because that will only worsen your symptoms.