Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Forced Hospitalization Didn't Stick


My older sister is 27. She has 3 children, and is married to an abuser. He is both physically and mentally abusive. She has a long past of mental problems, including a suicide attempt 10 yrs ago. For the past year she has been drinking about 1 pint of liquor per day. (ranging from wild Irish rose, to Jack Daniels). Recently we have tried to pink slip her in to the psych ward, but to no avail. (sober she is not a danger to herself even though she stays in an abusive relationship, but she won’t stop the drinking) I’m lost at what to do anymore. Is there any way to gain power of attorney over her medical decisions? We live in Ohio and I have searched everywhere for answers and I’ve found nothing to help. Can you?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

I’m not an expert in the law, but my best understanding is that patients that don’t meet the strict definitions necessary to hold someone against their will are free to, “die with their rights on” (to quote an old Psychiatrist mentor). To get the best answer, you’ll want to consult with a lawyer who is learned and experienced in involuntary commitment law for your state. You may also want to consult with a psychologist for tips on how to deal with such an overpoweringly helpless feeling situation.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand