1-888-993-3112

General Anxiety

Question:

I have two daughters with a fatal disease. I have had anxiety since their diagnosis in 2003. I started out with Xanax, .025 mg and took it once or twice a day for 2 years. Then we moved to Cincy for their Children’s Hospital and my new Dr tried Lexapro, then Wellbutrin XL, now 300 mg and I like it. I still feel the anxiety some days. Mostly there is not a trigger. I usually am working or watching tv. I get a feeling of numbness in my head and a swelling in my tongue. Now I can say to myself it is ok, but It is still there. I also sometimes get flubbed up when talking or typing. Is this normal? Should the medication be changed?

Answer:

Your story is tragic and heart rending. I cannot think of anything more tragic and bitter than having two young children who are dying of a fatal disease.

Your medicines sound excellent to me. However, what you are dealing with is bigger than any medicine can cure and that is the worry, anxiety and grieving connected with the anticipated death of two young children.

I want to urge you to try psychotherapy. Ask your Medical Doctor for a referral to someone who is either a psychologist or clinical social worker who specialize in helping people cope with grief and who are known to be warm and empathetic. Therapy can be a source of comfort and of learning how to comfort yourself, at least to some degree.

Please keep in mind that you have every right to feel anxious, worried and depressed about your children.

You are asking if your feelings are normal? Yes, they are normal, given the circumstances with which you are faced.

Also, consider joining our Online Community at Mental Help Net where you can discuss loss and grief and get some added emotional support from other members.

Dr. Schwartz