Half Baked

hi, i moved out west 3 years ago, I have a schedule working days of 3 weeks on and 1 week off, my problem is when i’m not working, i just sit around and do nothing, i got no motivation, not to many friends(mostly working when i’m not), I dont know what to do with myself somedays, this is probably part of the problem but i also smoke “pot” every day, thats about it, thx for your time

Chronic use of marijuana is often associated with an ‘amotivational syndrome’. In simpler language, this means that many people who smoke pot all the time often find that they stop caring about getting things done or doing anything much with their lives other than smoking and scraping by. The drug itself seems to contribute to this lack of motivation in some manner, but it may also be the case that some people who are drawn to chronic use of the drug come to it with a predisposition towards being more ‘go with the flow’ or passive in the first place. It’s hard to say, exactly.

p> If you want to improve your own motivation, I’d say there are two simple things you can do. The first is to get yourself completely sober from pot (stop using it altogether). I’m pushing here for complete sobriety, because half measures with these sorts of things typically slide back into chronic use in a short order of time. Stopping your pot smoking and making a plan will require you to become less passive in your approach to life, and more purposeful. It may also require you to break away from friends and an entire lifestyle you’re accustomed to if you are truly to get sober in a sustained way. Because this can be difficult to accomplish on your own when you don’t have practice, it may be helpful for you to get outside help, in the form of a therapist, sponsor or support group such as Marijuana Anonymous can perhaps supply (

p> The second thing you can do is to make a plan for what you’d like to do with your time. It might be difficult to make such a plan when you are stoned, so wait for a sober time to start putting one together. Better still – get sober for a few days before you start making your plan. I can’t tell you how to fill your time, but I can make a few suggestions. Whatever you decide to do, it should be something you like doing if possible, and which will not lead you back towards smoking or some other drug abuse. You might look into finding work you can do during your week off each month, or you might explore some creative outlet (art in some form?), or even physical exercise during your time. It would be nice to set a goal for yourself; a reachable, do-able goal that you can work towards such as completing a painting, or (if you are musical) writing a song, or (if you want to exercise) climbing a mountain or hiking to a place you’ve always wanted to see. In addition to being something doable, your goal will hopefully leave you feeling good about yourself when you complete it.