I’ve been in a marriage for nearly 14 years, and there has been numerous affairs. Two beautiful children, lots of good times, but a lot of bad memories also, even in my dreams. Guess I’m wondering if I’m still wasting time or if I should continue in this relationship?
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
For you to be questioning your relationship this seriously, it sounds to me like there might be something more going on than what you stated. Marriage counseling could help you and your spouse work out your difficulties. When you say that there have been numerous affairs, do you mean in a sexual nature or are you using a looser definition such as life events? While I can give you some advice, the decision will come down to you. Realize that any decision you make will significantly affect your life, your spouse’s life, and your children. Best of Luck, – Anne