I recently moved in w/my boyfriend. He told me he’d never marry me & furthermore has made it a point to never tell me loves me. Although this hurts me I still moved in. I have not felt welcomed by him (offered me no closet room or drawers), doesn’t want to agree upon any financial arrangements, and from the first morning when he left w/o saying goodbye — he’s been mean to me. I tried to move out over the weekend but stopped when he claimed to need more time to adapt to me living there. Days have past, & I still feel the same sadness vs. “high” I should have with this event. Are we wrong for each other & or should I move out into my own place or give it more time.
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
I’d say based on what you’ve reported here that you are not made for each other and that it is abundantly clear that you are wasting your time with this man, if in fact you want a good mutually supportive and loving relationship with him. How much clearer does he have to be? He’s told you that he won’t marry you and doesn’t love you. He’s been mean to you. Now I know he may be more complex than this and that you two may have had some good times together, but realistically – do you want a man who is going to play games with you (in the best case scenario) and is just messing with your mind and abusing you (in the worst case scenario)? I would never stand to be treated in this manner, and I can’t for the life of me understand why you would think so little of yourself that you would either.