Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

He's Not Himself


I just was faced with my ultimate heartache, and am having a very hard time! I have been married for 5 years, and in those 5 years we lost both his parents (dad in ’94 and mom in ’98), with my husband being an only child. Our marriage has survived a head trauma (me), losing my jobs because of this, a move to a small town, and losing his parents. He has turned to drugs instead of facing reality. He left 1 week ago to think, but I find out he’s with another woman, which is so unlike any of his morals!! He has blown off all the bills etc. I have 2 children, and we all love him very much. He’s left home and is staying with this other woman. What can I do??

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

You have to decide what is best for you. He might come back or he might not. I’m guessing he is very confused and hurt right now. He probably thinks that if he can get away from everything it will just disappear. Basically, you have to decide if you can wait. If you feel you can’t wait it out, then start living your own life with your children. I can understand the pressure he is under, but that does not explain his moving in with another woman. One option you could try is to find him and try to talk to him. He may not want to listen, because he is scared. Perhaps you can convince him to get some professional help. A professional may be able to get through to him. He needs to understand that he can’t just run away from his responsibilities. He has two children who need him, both financially and emotionally. Hope things work out, – Anne

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand