1-888-993-3112

Help Yourself By Helping Others

Question:

I know that I will be a happier/healthier person if I can involve myself with other human beings thru volunteer work or teaching people skills. Is there any organization that you would recommend that would entail a lot of interpersonal skills and human contact?

Answer:

Off the top of my head – Become a big-brother/big-sister to help a child in need. Look into St. Vincent De Paul’s to help out with shelters and food kitchens. Go to a local nursing home and volunteer to sit and talk with the elderly therein. Become a literacy volunteer in your community and teach persons who can’t read and write how to read and write. Get involved in local politics by joining with a group of persons who are working towards something socially useful like a park or a river restoration or an anti-smoking ban. Look in your phonebook for local human service agencies and call them to get more ideas. The possibilities are almost endless.