I know that I will be a happier/healthier person if I can involve myself with other human beings thru volunteer work or teaching people skills. Is there any organization that you would recommend that would entail a lot of interpersonal skills and human contact?
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Off the top of my head – Become a big-brother/big-sister to help a child in need. Look into St. Vincent De Paul’s to help out with shelters and food kitchens. Go to a local nursing home and volunteer to sit and talk with the elderly therein. Become a literacy volunteer in your community and teach persons who can’t read and write how to read and write. Get involved in local politics by joining with a group of persons who are working towards something socially useful like a park or a river restoration or an anti-smoking ban. Look in your phonebook for local human service agencies and call them to get more ideas. The possibilities are almost endless.