1-888-993-3112

How Can I Save My Marriage?

Question:

I am in the process of divorcing my wife. During our 20 years of marriage she has been extremely difficult. She is always angry at me (and everyone else) because we ‘make’ her angry. She accuses me of things I have not done (typically things that she herself has done) and manufactures reasons for her difficult behavior. I eventually managed to get her to go with me to a marriage councillor who seemed to clearly perceive a problem. However, we have stopped going to this counselor now. I could not get anything committal out of him regarding the problem. I am looking to see if there is some way I can salvage the marriage. Suggestions?

Answer:

You start by saying that you are divorcing your wife and end by staying you want to salvage your marriage. It would seem that you have mixed feelings. I’m recommending that the two of you return to marital counseling. Working with a qualified counselor is going to be a better path back towards a healthy marriage than attempting to work it out alone. If the therapist you saw wasn’t working for you – find another one who suites you better. You may or may not salvage your marriage by returning to counseling, but you will at least have the sense that you did the very best you could to preserve it. I hope this helps, – Anne

• Gracier Yu

I agree with Anne, you can come back to marital counselling. Another alternative is to read more marriage help on the net. We have put together a mini-course on how you can save your marriages: Why Saving Your Marriage Is Easier Than Getting A Divorce. You can check it out in http://marriagejourneys.com/savingyourmarriage/SavingYourMarriageIsEasierThanGettingADivorce.html

Advantage of marital counselling: someone will be able to check on you. You can use available marriage help on the net as a preparation or as a complement to marital counselling.