How Do I Access Help?


I live in the DFW area. I just moved here, and don’t have my antidepressants. I really need to find a doctor,( psychiatrist) and get back on the medications. I don’t have health insurance yet and the medications I’m on are impossibly expensive ( 700 a month without insurance) I don’t know what to do. I am having a very difficult time coping with the changes I have had to go through. I’ve been through a divorce, homelessness, relocation, and job and career change in less than a year.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

You’ve been through a lot and can use some support. Most communities of any size have a public mental health system that can be accessed by folks in your situation. Look in your yellow pages (or ask the operator) and find the number for the local “community mental health center”. Call them and tell them you carry a diagnosis of depression but don’t have insurance and need help for your depression and with finding out how to qualify for public mental health services. Hopefully they will give you an appointment to get the care you need. I’m warning you up front that you may get a bit of a run-around so be prepared. You’ll have to persevere here – keep asking for what you need even when it seems like people are not being helpful. The thing is that there is a lot of bureaucracy involved that you’ll have to get through. Once you get through it, however, help should be available. See if you can’t find a social worker or someone like that at the community mental health center who can help you navigate the crap.

Good Luck

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists