Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

How Do I Find Help?


How do I search for a psychiatrist? I need to find one for my dad who is in a psychiatric hospital. He is 81 and since seizuring 6 weeks ago, has serious anger issues and acts out inappropriately. The attending now seems not to certain of how to proceed. My niece also needs someone. She lost her mother in Dec. and herself has had unresolved issues dealing with lying, and she does not get attached to things. She changes jobs all the time, and never takes responsibility for anything. She is a single parent of a 14 month old and leaves him with lots of people. I think she needs help quick. I do not know how to secure someone GOOD, with the appropriate experience. What are some questions to ask even? I appreciate any wisdom you can offer! Thanks.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

The Psychiatric Hospital should as a matter of routine “Continuity of Care” provide your father with appropriate referrals to providers, including a psychiatrist or other appropriate physician to take over his case upon his discharge. If for some reason this does not occur, however, you can search for an appropriate physician yourself. Look for a psychiatrist (an MD) who is board certified in psychiatry (and neurology and/or gerontology as well if possible given your father’s condition and age). I would recommend starting with your regular primary care or family doctor if you have one – he or she should be able to help with an appropriate referral. A local large hospital may have a physician referral service you could use as well. As a last resort, consult your local yellow pages under “psychiatry” As for your family’s ‘non-medical’ concerns – the issue is larger than just your niece as the welfare of her child is at stake. There are a range of credentialed therapists who would be appropriate for you and your niece to consult. A recent article in the New York Daily News provides a decent primer on how to tell one therapist from another. Good luck, Dr. Dombeck

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand