1-888-993-3112

How Do I Help My Husband With Anger Issues Since He Has Been Back From Iraq.

Question:

My husband doesn’t show all the symptoms of PTSD but since coming back from Iraq he has these episodes of just exploding and he realizes this. Any advice that can be given would be appreciated.

Answer:

I would recommend that he undergo a complete psychiatric evaluation in order to determine what may be causing his outbursts. It is certainly possible that he is experiencing the symptoms of PTSD. I have found that some veterans do not like to admit to many of the symptoms they are experiencing and tend to minimize or deny them. The reason often has to do with the usual male issues of masculinity and the importance of showing strength.

He has several options in terms of seeking and receiving help. He could be seen at the VA by their psychiatrist. This is free but there is a long wait. Or, you and he could seek a private consultation with a psychiatrist in your community. If you have private insurance it would be a good idea to choose someone who is on the insurance list. If you do not have private insurance then get a referral from your family Medical Doctor or look for someone on the Internet. Remember, a Psychiatrist is Medical Doctor who can diagnose and prescribe medication. I am quite sure that after being seen and evaluated by a Psychiatrist he will be referred to either a Psychologist or Clinical Social Worker for psychotherapy.

I also suggest that you and your husband read some of the recent articles posted on Mental Help Net about Iraq veterans and PTSD.

• Mike M
  • teresa

I have been dealing with horrible prob.......my husband and i had a wounderfull life.....But he went away and came back a total stranger......One of his men died.....He was the one to make the choice.....try to save one man and loose many....Or sacrifice that man to save many.....I cant imagine how hard that choice was, but we,,,,,his family have lost a wounderful husband....a wounderful father.....he is now a criminal in a world where he was the one arresting the criminal. Law inforcement was his life. and now that is gone. How do you help a man realise that he needs help?