How Do I Help My Husband With Anger Issues Since He Has Been Back From Iraq.


My husband doesn’t show all the symptoms of PTSD but since coming back from Iraq he has these episodes of just exploding and he realizes this. Any advice that can be given would be appreciated.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

I would recommend that he undergo a complete psychiatric evaluation in order to determine what may be causing his outbursts. It is certainly possible that he is experiencing the symptoms of PTSD. I have found that some veterans do not like to admit to many of the symptoms they are experiencing and tend to minimize or deny them. The reason often has to do with the usual male issues of masculinity and the importance of showing strength.

He has several options in terms of seeking and receiving help. He could be seen at the VA by their psychiatrist. This is free but there is a long wait. Or, you and he could seek a private consultation with a psychiatrist in your community. If you have private insurance it would be a good idea to choose someone who is on the insurance list. If you do not have private insurance then get a referral from your family Medical Doctor or look for someone on the Internet. Remember, a Psychiatrist is Medical Doctor who can diagnose and prescribe medication. I am quite sure that after being seen and evaluated by a Psychiatrist he will be referred to either a Psychologist or Clinical Social Worker for psychotherapy.

I also suggest that you and your husband read some of the recent articles posted on Mental Help Net about Iraq veterans and PTSD.

Best of Luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists