1-888-993-3112

Husband In Alcohol Rehab

Question:

My husband is in alcohol rehab the first time ever. He is 64 years old. I am 63. What type questions should I ask his therapist when I call for family group? My husband is angry at me for "putting him there". He will not admit to being depressed to me, but only to my daughter. He told my daughter he will not tell them he is depressed. Thank you very much.

Answer:

It is difficult for me to know what questions you should ask the counselor when you have a family meeting at the alcohol rehab. center. However, what I can tell you is that the issue is not whether your husband has depression but whether or not he can admit that he has an alcohol problem.

At the moment he does not appear to take responsibility for his drinking because he is blaming your for his being in rehab. instead of admitting he is there because of his problem.

In fact, the entire issue of your husband blaming you for his being in rehab is one of the things that should be openly discussed.

The other issue that will be important to discuss is what happens when he is discharged from the program. Unless he is willing to go to AA or whatever post rehab program he will relapse and end up there again.

I know this is extrememly difficult for you to have to cope with, especially at your and your husband’s age. In point of fact, the rate of older people experiencing drug and alcohol problems is increasing by leaps and bounds.

I want to suggest that you or you and your daughter attend ALANON meeting. These are for the family members of people who suffer from alcoholims and can help you understand how to understand this illness and how to protect your self.