I Don't Like To Eat.


I am 26 years old, 6’3" tall and weigh 134 pounds. I eat once a day, generally dinner. When I was younger I was naturally skinny. However, around my teen years I basically stopped eating. I have been this way for about 11 years. I don’t do it for any particular reason other than I just don’t like to eat. I had a grand mal seizure in 2005 that I think could have been due to my lack of eating and I just about passed out the other day while driving; I immediately pulled over and called my dad to let him know my location in case it was another seizure. He told me he was concerned and told me to start eating or go see a doctor. The problem is I feel fine for the most part when I don’t eat, and eating is more like a chore for me. What kind of doctor should I go see? A dietitian? I understand I need help, after all, I am a truck driver and would hate for something to happen to where I lose my job, or worse. Thanks.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

In my opinion, I believe that you should see your Medical Doctor, explain all of your symptoms and have a complete medical check up done on you, complete with blood and urine tests. One never knows what may cause symptoms even when it may "seem" obvious.

If the results of the medical check up are that you are in good health, other than being under-weight, you need to do a number of things:


You need to:

1. Enter psychotherapy with a psychologist or clinical social worker who are expert in treating eating disorders.
2. Consult a nutritionist who is expert and experienced in treating eating disorders.
3. My guess is that the therapist or your medical doctor will refer you to a psychiatrist to get you onto medication to encourage you to eat more.
4. Somewhere along the line you may enter an eating disorders group therapy program.

Therapists are Standing By to Treat Your Depression, Anxiety or Other Mental Health Needs

Explore Your Options Today


All of this does not need to happen all at once but you do need to get started.

My guess would be that, before you have had a complete medical exam, you have Anorexia Nervosa. In effect, you are starving your self to death, whether you know it or not. In any case, this is a very serious issue for you and, to protect your health and life, you must see your doctor immediately.

Good Luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists

Myndfulness App

Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily

Myndfuless App Rating

Download Now For Free

Learn More >