1-888-993-3112

I Have Bulimia

Question:

I have had bulimia for about almost 4 years now. I go through bouts where I relapse but, for the most part, I am recovering. In the first year of my bulimia I lost about 100lbs and still wanted to lose more. Unfortunately, in my recovery, I gained most of it back. I still have a very unhealthy relationship with food. I just want to know how to teach my brain that food is not bad but every time I eat, whether it be a tomato or a whole bag of crisps, I feel the urge to throw it up.

Answer:

How best to train your mind to not be fearful of food is to enter psychotherapy. The most helpful type of psychotherapy for this is Cognitive Behavior Therapy. CBT gives you a chance to follow your automatic or unrealistic thoughts about food. Then, you and the therapist can explore more realistic thoughts. What is nice about CBT is that you are not being forced to think a certain way. In point of fact, you do most of the work yourself with guidance from the therapist.

As part of this it is also important to review your past in order to identify how your bulimia started. Very often, eating disorders run in families. I have seen situations in which a female with bulimia discovered that her mother and grandmother also had the same problem. It it wasn’t bulimia it was anorexia, closely connected to bulimia.

Many people with bulimia find that they purge when they are upset with something that is happening in their lives. Perhaps breaking up with a boyfriend, getting a low grade on an exam, not getting the hoped for raise in salary and etc. It is the frustration that adds to a feeling of frustration that sets off the desire to purge.

Please know that purging is extremely harmful to health and can lead to many serious health issues. The sooner you get yourself into therapy the better it will be for you.

By the way, if you are male, all the same information applies.