I have read that children with Autism may have a parent with an anxiety related disorder, such as OCD. What are the odds of passing OCD on to my child–or in a worse case, elevating my child’s chance of developing autism?Ad
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
There is very little known about what causes autism except that it is on the rise and scientists are puzzled about why. Speculation has run from the possibility of preservatives used in immunization shots to exposure to electrical currents and a myriad other environment factors including the levels of pollution in the air, ground and water supply.
While not knowing the cause of this disorder and while it is very frustrating and anxiety arousing there is no useful purpose to be gained about vague speculations found on the Internet. Frankly, I have read nothing about a connection between anxiety disorders of any kind, including OCD and autism. What I can tell you that if a child does have one of the autism spectrum disorders wonderful things are being done to enable them to grow and live happy and normal lives.
Please do not worry yourself about highly speculative and doubtful things. I sincerely doubt that there is any connection between anxiety disorders in mothers and infants developing autism. If anxiety in mothers was a cause of autism we would have a world wide pandemic of autism and no such pandemic exists.
Best of Luck
Therapists are Standing By to Treat Your Depression, Anxiety or Other Mental Health Needs
Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily
Download Now For Free