Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

I Think I Have A Mental Illness


My family has a history of mental illness,such as, schizophrenia, morbid jealousy and paranoia. I fear that I too have an illness. For the past number of months I have changed dramatically. I am constantly questioning my partner, I am constantly shouting and screaming at her, and I am being verbally abusive. I get into an uncontrollable rage and I fear that I may hurt someone or myself. This is a day to day occurence. My family is worried for my and my partner’s safety. I really don’t know what to do.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

There are many factors that can cause a mental illness. It is often a combination of genetic, physiolgical, social and psychological probems that are at work. The fact that many members of your family suffer from these illnesses puts you at a higher risk for depression, personality disorder bipolar disorder or one of the psychoses.

The only way to uncover what is behind your symptoms is to see either a psychiatrist or licensed clinical psychologist who can then do a diagnosis followed by a correct clinical procedure. This can inlcude medication, psychotherapy or, most likely, a combination of both.

I think it’s really a good thing that you recognize this problem and are asking about help. In fact, it is a good thing that you fear that you might hurt someone. Oftentimes, it takes this kind of fear and worry to motivate a person to seek help.

Do not hesitate, seek help now. The sooner you get help the sooner you will feel better. If need be, do a Google search for psychiatrist in your area.

Good Luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand