I have lived with my boyfriend for 12 years and now we don’t get along anymore. I just want out of this relation. I don’t need anything from him also because he doesn’t have much either. My problem is that I have no money, no job and no place to go. So could you, please, give me an idea of where can I go from here? Please try. I am becoming almost hopeless… Thank you for your consideration.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

In order for you to get free you will have to develop independence skills such as learning how to get and hold a job. Without your acquiring such skills and getting a job, you will not become free, but rather will have to find another living situation, another boyfriend to be dependent upon. Your local community may have resources that can help you learn how to find a job, locate an apartment, etc. I would start by contacting the local shelter for battered women in your area. You may not have been battered, but you have needs that are similar to women who have been battered. If they can’t help you, then call around to different social services agencies and see if anyone can help you to hook up with a local program that helps people find work. These types of activities will be your best path towards independence. Good luck.

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists