1-888-993-3112

Infections And The Brain

Question:

I have never been diagnosed with a mental condition and they do not run in the family, as far as I know. I periodically have random bad thoughts. For example, I will worry that family members or pets are dying or being killed. After these thoughts go on for awhile, I end up in the doctor’s office because I am physically not feeling well. The result is that the doctor finds an infection. A general infection is discovered by a blood test and I develop ear infections. Could these infections be affecting my brain? Do I need to see a neurologist to figure this out? Thank you!

Answer:

It appears to me, and, in my opinion, that you could be experiencing feelings of depression and anxiety. Another way of explaining this is to say that you are suffering from a lot of stress.

We know that stress, depression and anxiety all conspire to drain the immune system and, therefore, increase vulnerability to many viruses and infections. Mind and body, brain and body are not separate.

It seems to me that it is extremely unlikely that you have any infection that is affecting your brain. You doctor would have discovered it if it was present. It is not that infections are hurting your brain, it is that your stress, worry and depression are affecting the way you think and how you feel, ending in getting sick.

It is also possible that you suffer from some allergies. However, if your MD believes that you are in good health except for getting these infections, then it is time for you to find a therapist: clinical psychologist or clinical social worker, enter psychotherapy and learn to handle your life issues in ways that will not result in your getting physically ill.

In addition to this, and with your MD’s consent, its probably a good idea for you to start a physical exercise program, if you are in good health. Exercise will boost your immune system, reduce the stress that you feel and help you feel better.

Speak about these things with your MD.