I am a mother of three young girls, and I know that I am making their lives miserable. I am constantly yelling at them, I don’t want to go anywhere let alone do anything around home. I just recently quit my job because of the guilt that I feel not being at home. I cant work up the energy to do anything. When I was at work, I hated it. I was forced to do things because I could not talk my self out of doing it. I feel as though I can’t be the mom, wife, daughter, sister and aunt that I am supposed to be. I feel as though I have been nothing but a failure in every aspect of my life. There is nothing to look forward to in life for me. Is there help out there!
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Yes, there is most certainly help available to you. First, you need to understand that you are experiencing depression. Of course, I do not mean to say that your pressures and stressor are not real. They are very real. However, these stresses and your individual constitution are combining to cause you to feel depression.
The symptoms you describe are classic depression:
1. Anger and yelling
2. Feeling hopeless
3. Believing you are a failure
4. Feeling that you are disappointing others
5. Feeling exhausted
You need to make an appointment with a clinical psychologist or licensed clinical social worker. I would urge you to seek professional who are expert in using Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) and/or Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). It is possible that they will have you evaluated for anti depressant medication to be used with the psychotherapy.
In addition to these, I urge you to learn about meditation as a way to find inner peace and inner calm.
Exercise is extremely important and I think you will find it very relieving.
Nutrition is very important. It is said that "we are what we eat," and this is true. A balanced diet, including fish, green vegetables and whole grain foods, among others, is very important.
We also have an Online Support community here at Mental Help Net and I suggest you give it a try by just clicking on this page.
Act quickly to get help. You deserve to feel better and you have many things in your life that are important.
Best of Luck