1-888-993-3112

Is This Bi Polar?

Question:

I am not sure if I have bipolar disorder. Sometimes I have highs where I want to do everything. This is only matched by extreme lows with what I call severe depression. Most of the time I can function, but as I have gotten older (I am thirty now) I feel as if nothing excites me. I isolate but that is only because I am not into the lifestyle of partying that I used to be in years ago. Even though everything is going good for me, I feel as if I am a failure and nothing I do puts me at that point of being content, and happy. I am currently living alone and broke up with my girlfriend two years ago. She had mental illness of her own I believed to be bipolar I.

Answer:

I have no way of diagnosing you over the Internet but I can make some general statements and strongly advise you to see a Clinical Psychologist and/or Psychiatrist who will provide both a diagnosis and treatment. Only the Psychiatrist can prescribe medication if you do have a Bipolar Disorder. The psychotherapy would be done by a Clinical Psychologist or Licensed Clinical Social Worker.

At the very least, I believe or strongly suspect that you are experiencing a serious depression. I simply cannot say if it is part of a Bipolar problem. Please be assured that, either way, treatment is necessary. At age thirty, you are very young and have all the reason in the world to have and enjoy a full life.

From what you have written in your E. Mail, you are past the "partying time" and want to settle into a married life and family. That is very understandable. In fact, even though it was a while ago, you may be mourning the loss of the past girl friend. I do not know that for sure. Perhaps it is less mourning the loss of her and doubting your ability to find another woman. Well, while feeling so depressed you are in no mood to be dating.

Please get a consultation with a good psychiatrist or clinical psychologist and get your life going again.