Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Lost Person Struggling With Intimacy Issues


I guess you could say I am a lost person. I have known my kids father for 13 years five of those we were married for five of those years. got a divorce got back together after 2years not together. We have not got remarried but have been back together for three years know. The first year went very good, then I started looking around, and have lost a lot of trust in our relationship. just recently I experienced something I have thought about several times before. I had an encounter with woman, I enjoy this persons company she knew I was with a male……but I have not spoke to her much since then…..this has also put a strain on my home life with relationship with my kids father. I don’t know what to do anymore……I feel I am hurting my boyfriend because I am always thinking there is something else out there. if you could give me some advice I would appreciate it. Thank you

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

You’re not sure if you’re in or out of this relationship are you. You don’t use an intimate name to describe your ex-husband/boyfriend; you refer to him as “the father of my children”. The question you need to answer is, “Am I committed to this relationship with my ex-husband/boyfriend or not”. Right now you are on the fence; both there with him and also with a roving eye for other liaisons. This ambivalence isn’t good for relationships and it isn’t good for people. You may have your reasons to not trust the man you’re with, or you may be frightened of getting too close to anyone, perhaps because of early abuse, or past bad relationships. Only you can know that. There are a few things you can do to work on your ambivalent feelings. First, you have to decide that you truly want to work on them. Without motivation to change, you won’t resolve your situation. Second, you have to stop following up on opportunities to stray from your relationship. Opportunities to stray are always present around you if you look for them; You cannot stop them from being there. You can stop yourself from following up on those opportunities. Don’t see this woman again. Don’t spend your time interacting with potential affair partners. Third, you need to do fun, intimacy building things with your ex-husband/boyfriend. Intimacy feelings are never just a given. They are created when both partners in a couple do intimate things together. Suggest that you two go for walks or drives. Tickle each other. Be vulnerable when it feels more or less safe to do so. Make love. Such activities can help you to rebuild the trust and interest in each other that has been lost. This process will take time, but it can work.

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand