Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Low Sexual Desire


Since the Birth of my son fourteen months ago, I have lost all interest in sex. My partner and I have been together several years and before the baby our sex life was great. Sometimes(very rarely though) I do desire to have sex. Mostly however, I will make any excuse not to. I do enjoy it after we have started, and I do orgasm. I just don’t understand where my desire went. I had a natural child birth without any complications. Do I have a lack of testosterone now, or could it be something else? Please help. It is not only frustrating to me but my partner also.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

I’m no doctor and have no idea if you’ve got a hormone imbalance. I can only tell you that your desire less state is a recognized type of sexual problem that occurs sometimes, and that there may be help available. Have you discussed this difficulty with your doctor? I hope that you will if you have not as your doctor is in a good position to be able to help you. You may also want to consult with a sexual therapist or psychologist specializing in sexuality. I’m not sure what can be done, but these types of professionals will know if anyone does. Good luck in figuring this all out. In the meantime, keep your husband in the loop. Let him know that you recognize there is a problem and that you are working on it. Enlist his help in helping to work it out.

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand