1-888-993-3112

Managing Priorities

Question:

I am in a 9-month old relationship. I have 3 children. He stepped into my life single with no kids. He has taken my children under his wing. I have a high stress job, lots of bills, and lots of kids activities that I need to take care of. He feels that he is not a priority in my life. I know he is. How can I make a man I love who has no kids of his own, realize that he is a priority without taking away my precious time with my babies?

Answer:

It’s wonderful to hear that this man you are seeing has taken your children under his wing. He must understand the importance that your children play in your life and your happiness. I would consider talking with him about the many things that you are managing so that you can provide what your children deserve. It seems to me that although you do not have much free time on your hands, you might want to try and work out some set times to simply enjoy each other’s company. You didn’t mention the ages of your children, which also plays an important factor in the free time you have. Very young children simply require more attention from their parents, however, if you do have children that are at the age when they can begin taking care of themselves a little more — or begin helping you with house cleaning, organizing, or watching younger children, you might want to ask for their help. This may free up some time to spend on your relationship with the man you are seeing. Or, make plans to spend time with your children and this man at the same time. This way, you can all enjoy each other’s company. Also, remember that it doesn’t take much time to tell someone how much you like them, or thank them for being understanding. Best of luck to you, – Anne