1-888-993-3112

Marijuana And Depression

Question:

I was wondering what type of connection could be made with my 3 year almost weekly habit of smoking marijuana and my ups and downs with fighting depression and now I suffer from some anxiety and panic attacks and I cannot go to school. What has happened to me, how can I have my life back?

Answer:

I’m not up on the latest bad stuff that Marijuana does to the body and mind but I know this much for sure: Marijuana definitely contribute to mood disorders (which is more or less what you are describing). I can’t say for sure that Marijuana caused your symptoms – but I can say for sure that your continued smoking of it will only make your situation worse. My advice is to seek out and see a psychiatrist or psychologist who is familiar with “dual diagnosis” treatment (e.g., treatment of people who do drugs and have psychiatric/psychological conditions at the same time) and sign your self up for help (which will probably include some medication, some psychotherapy and probably some 12 Step work (AA type stuff)). It is best to get treatment for both conditions at the same time if possible. You certainly are not going to get better if you continue to smoke

• ERIKA

My husband has panic attacks and anxiety since 3 years ago, he was on treatment and was getting better but he started smoking marijuana and he seems worse, he smokes it every day and even though he says he does it cause it helps him with his anxiety i've read that it only makes it worse and I really think it does cause he is worse than before. Now he even gets mad easily and he wasn't like that before.