Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Marriage Problems


I have been married to a man 14 years younger than me for 9 years. We are now have a lot of money problems and a lot fighting. I seem to get more and more depressed every day. We have a wonderful eight year old boy. What can I do? I feel real messed up and unsure as were to for help. I have trouble trusting people. I just know things are not getting better.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Couples argue more over money than any other single issue (with the possible exception of sex). Your marriage and depression problems haven’t gotten better over time. It stands to reason that if you don’t do something differently than you have done in the past, things won’t get better in the future, either. I suggest a three or six month course of marriage counseling for both of you (or individual psychotherapy for you if your husband won’t cooperate). I also think you should go to the library and check out some books on fixing troubled marriages. Psychologist John Gottman has written a bunch of good ones. I know you say you have money problems and you’ll probably say you can’t afford counseling – but counseling isn’t that expensive, and it really might help alleviate your difficulties. That would be an outcome worth its weight in gold, I’ll bet.

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand