1-888-993-3112

Med Consult

Question:

I have slowly taken myself off Prozac and have been off it now for approx. 3 months. (I have been on it for about 9 years). I also have been on oxycontin 20mg every 12 hours for fibromyalgia. I have only been on the oxycontin since Sept. 10th, 2001. I go back in a few days for a refill. I have not taken the oxycontin for 2 days because I was feeling okay. Here is my dilemma….for the last week and 1/2 I have been in a horrible depression, crying, isolating, and thinking of suicide. Can being OFF Prozac for only 3 months bring on these depression symptoms I used to have? Or is it being off oxycontin for 2 days, going on 3 days? Thank you very much, Dr Dombeck for reading this.

Answer:

As far as I know, it is possible for conditions like depression to come back in the absence of (sometimes even in the presence of!) anti-depressant medication, especially when the depression being treated was severe and recurrent. Beyond that statement, I can’t say much. As a Psychologist, I do not have medical training, am not licensed to dispense medicine and can only ethically refer you to someone who does have the proper training and license (e.g., a medical doctor). I strongly urge you to see a medical doctor to get your questions answered. Coming off of medicines should only be done with the assistance or overt consent of the prescribing medical doctor (or at least a medical doctor who is knowledgeable about your conditions.