Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Michelle Writes:


I have been amicably separated for 3 years; we aren’t legally separated, but have been living apart for almost 3 years. We have gotten along well in this time and have a 10 year old daughter who seems to be doing fine. He has now moved in with a woman. I found out about the move in by calling his number and finding it disconnected. He never bothered to tell me about it or to call and give me a new address, etc. I find myself furious about everything now – about him, his being able to have the time to find someone (I’ve never even dated a single person). I feel so angry at him & I don’t know exactly why I’m so mad after all of this time? How do I protect my daughter’s happiness, get on with my life, and deal with him all at the same time?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Could it be that you mistook your friendship for something more than it actually was? You have lives of your own now. It sounds as though he has decided to move on with his. You can talk to him and make him aware of your feelings. Let him know that, as a friend, he was inconsiderate of your feelings. Remind him that the two of you share a major responsibility together. You’ll have to work together if you want to preserve your daughter’s happiness. There are more ways than one to move on with your life. Finding a significant other is not always the right answer. Find the person you were before the two of you met. What activities were you involved in? Did you have any hobbies before your relationship that you discontinued? Did you develop any new interests during your relationship that you have yet to pursue? This time is yours. You don’t have to be concerned about anyone else except yourself! Good luck with everything. – Anne

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand