1-888-993-3112

Mild Personality Disorder

Question:

Well, when i drive i have this "other personality" that tells me to either try and go under an 18-wheeler or try to hit the curb. It says that it will be fun. but i know that it wants to kill me. I’m getting really scared of this. I’m wondering if i should be concerned about this or if i’m just paranoid.

Answer:

If you have a Personality Disorder it may not be mild.

You are not being paranoid and you must be very, very concerned about this.

There are many possible explanations for what is happening to you. However, I do not know you and do not want to speculate. For this reason I want to urge, push, beg, cajole and even Order You to get help immediately.

The reason why I insist that you get help immediately is that it is possible that you are suicidal or in danger of harming your self. If it turns out that I was wrong, well, good. I would rather be wrong after you have been evaluated than take any chance risking your safety and your life. After all, life is precious.

You have several options for seeking help:

1. Go the emergency room of you local hospital and report what is happening to you and tell them that you are scared that you could hurt your self.

2. See your primary care doctor immediately and let the doctor know the very same things. He will take the necessary steps.

Either of these two are your best bet for you to begin to get help. Waiting to see a psychiatrist or waiting to get an appointment at a local clinic usually takes too long.

In many ways, this is an emergency.

By the way, I do not want to scare you too much, just a little: enough for you to take action. It is possible that nothing suicidal is going on. This does not mean it is not serious. It just means it may not be life threatening. If it is not life threatening, the MD will start you on the appropriate medicine and refer you to a psychiatrist and/or psychotherapist.

• SHAUN

MAYBE BEFORE THIS PERSON ALLOWS THE SYSTEM TO LABEL HER, SHE SHOULD SEE A GOOD THERAPIST, NEURO LINGUISTC PROGRAMMING THERAPIST, HYPNOTHERAPY, PSYCHOTHERAPY ETC, It certainly may need some hospital intervention, but if it is not as serious as people think, it could mean problems in life with jobs, fostering etc etc etc. I would suggest you see an NLP master practitioner and ask about parts therapy, get communication with the part that is being a little out of line, you need to find out it's intention. Parts therapy is a very good intervention with these internal voices, they are or it is trying to do something for you, find out it's intention eh. i WONDER, HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO talk to this part, we tend to be fearfull of this internal voice, try asking it what it is trying to do for you.

Shaun from the UK

• Andrew

What you are talking about are called intrunsive thoughts. Everyone gets thoses thoughts but others are more scarred about them.

If you are asking yourself "what if...." eg i start to thinking or act that way, etc are classic symptoms of OCD.

Some people are scarred of germs, small rooms, darkness, you are scarred of intrusive thoughts.