1-888-993-3112

Missing The Children

Question:

I have recently broke up with my long term partner. She claims she and I are still friends, but her family and a “friend” are saying that she must have no contact with me what so ever and that if I try to contact her regarding anything that she reports me to the police. We have two children whom I miss terribly, and if the grandmother answers the phone she tells me to leave her and the kids alone. I’m finding it very hard emotionally as she moved over 250 miles away. I try and send things to the kids but it keeps getting returned to me. Help!

Answer:

On the surface of things, it appears very unfortunate for you and your children that your ex-partner is taking such a hard line. However, not knowing the circumstances that led up to this move on her part, I cannot judge it. What I can say is that as the father of these children, you likely have certain rights and responsibilities. You will likely be required to help support these children financially. Unless there is something seriously wrong with you, you also should be able to be a presence in the children’s lives. It seems to me that your best bet would be to consult with a lawyer skilled in child custody and support issues at your earliest convienience. You don’t want to passively give up rights that you could reasonably assert, and you don’t want to avoid being able to participate actively in shaping your financial and other care-giving responsibilities. Good luck.