Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Missing The Children


I have recently broke up with my long term partner. She claims she and I are still friends, but her family and a “friend” are saying that she must have no contact with me what so ever and that if I try to contact her regarding anything that she reports me to the police. We have two children whom I miss terribly, and if the grandmother answers the phone she tells me to leave her and the kids alone. I’m finding it very hard emotionally as she moved over 250 miles away. I try and send things to the kids but it keeps getting returned to me. Help!

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

On the surface of things, it appears very unfortunate for you and your children that your ex-partner is taking such a hard line. However, not knowing the circumstances that led up to this move on her part, I cannot judge it. What I can say is that as the father of these children, you likely have certain rights and responsibilities. You will likely be required to help support these children financially. Unless there is something seriously wrong with you, you also should be able to be a presence in the children’s lives. It seems to me that your best bet would be to consult with a lawyer skilled in child custody and support issues at your earliest convienience. You don’t want to passively give up rights that you could reasonably assert, and you don’t want to avoid being able to participate actively in shaping your financial and other care-giving responsibilities. Good luck.

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand