1-888-993-3112

My 7 Year Old Nephew

Question:

My nephew has been recently diagnosed with add. He seems to do well academicly but will get out of control and throw chairs and get really out of hand. My sister has also stated one symptom is not listening to his mother. It seems he is able to be handled by his father , but will not listen to my sister, he will threaten to make her wreck the car while they are driving and will hit her. Are these symptoms of add?

Answer:

The answer to your question is yes, these are symptoms of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). Hopefully he has been started on a course of medication to help him control his impulses and focus his attention both in school and at home. He needs to learn how to listen to other people, express his anger in socially appropriate ways and relate to people so that he can become a fully functioning member of society. Therefore, it will be important for him to go to a kind of therapy where he will experience behavior modification to help him learn more healthy and adaptive behaviors.

It will also be important for his parents to attend sessions with the therapist in order that they learn the proper ways to handle your nephew at home. In this way, what he is learning in therapy will be carried over and reinforced at home.

Later in his development, as school and other commitments become more complex he will need to learn how to keep himself organized and remember to do things.

The fact that he seems to listen to his father is not unusual since those with ADHD seem able to control themselves and focus their attention in certain isolated situations.

Your sister and brother-in-law should go to a web site called Children and Adults with ADHD. This web site can be found at:

http://www.chadd.com/

On that site support groups can be found in communities around the country. These groups are enormously helpful in helping parents of children with ADHD feel less alone and more supported. By the way, the site also has a wealth of valuable information.