1-888-993-3112

My Boyfriend Is Depressed

Question:

My boyfriend hasn’t been sleeping well and has been very depressed and I’m not sure why. As of today he got laid off his job. He says he doesn’t want to see anyone or talk to anyone and I don’t think it is a good idea for him to be alone. I want to respect his privacy but I also don’t think he is thinking clearly. Should I go over and comfort him or should I give him his space? (I’m not worried about suicide or anything like that, just worried that he is pushing everyone away). Please help me soon. I’m very concerned and confused.

Answer:

Many people want to be alone when they are depressed. I recommend trying to talk to him though. Often they need somebody to talk to and share their feelings with. He may be reluctant to share, so try to ask him questions. He is under a lot of stress lately and needs to relax some. Try taking him out, (even if he resists) to a movie or other activities to help take his mind off of it. Best of luck, – Anne