Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

My Daughter


I think my daughter might have ADD and she is worried about it too. the only thing she did very well in school but she didnt have to try it came natural. but she is so disorganized she is constantly losing things. and she cant be still she is always fidging around. and she cant control her tongue. she will blurt out things than wish she hadnt said them. she has trouble with relationships because she cant seem to just relax and have fun. its like she always has to be in control all the time even in relationships. and you cant talk to her because even when she ask for help she gets angry over it when the answer isnt what she wanted or if it goes against what she thinks. and she is sooo negative about everything. she has the most gloomy view on things i have ever seen. and she wants to rush everything

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

The symptoms and characteristics you describe with regard to your daughter do strongly indicate ADHD. One way to know for sure is to have her tested either by the school psychologist or by a private psychologist. Testing will yield clear results.

Assuming that the results of the testing are positive then your daughter should be referred to a psychiatrist who specializes in working with children and adolescents in the area of ADHD. There are several medications that can help her to better control her impulses, end the fidgety behavior, slow her speech and focus her attention at home, school and among friends. As with many youngsters who are diagnosed with ADHD she is experiencing some depression and the psychiatrist may prescribe anti depressant medications along with the ADHD medications.

In addition to medication I want to recommend cognitive-behavioral therapy with a heavy focus on behavior modification. Medication alone will not be enough because your daughter also has to learn the skills to conduct herself socially. For example, she needs to learn to allow others to speak, wait her turn, and do the socially and academically important things that will allow her to have friends and do well in school. She also needs to learn how to organize the things in her in her life so that she will not lose her things. Cognitive behavioral therapy will also help her learn how to control depression by modifying the ways of thinking that cause her to feel unhappy.

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand