I have been divorced for 6 months. The ex-husband has found someone who he thinks he is in love with and intends on marrying in December. I am depressed and feel like I really screwed up. I’m not sure what to do.
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
It is not uncommon for a person to second-guess their decisions after the other person has moved on to a new relationship… It may help to realize that your feelings of screwing up are natural. People can do one of two things: they can either ruminate and become depressed about their situation or they can take charge of their destiny. Why don’t you channel your depressive energy into positive action and get on with your life…? Perhaps it’s time to stop beating yourself up over the past and start looking to the future… Hopefully his marriage will bring some closure to your situation…. Best of luck to you, – Anne