Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

My Granddaughter Is Acting Bizarrely


Dr. Dombeck, I have a friend whose daughter and granddaughter recently moved back in with her. My friend is extremely worried because her granddaughter, who seemed normal the last time she saw her at age 10 months, is now behaving in a bizarre manner at the age of two. This child refuses to eat, appears panicked whenever someone other than her mother makes eye contact or walks near her, tears out her own hair in clumps and patches, bangs her head against the wall. My friend is fearful for her granddaughter’s health, and the well-being and safety of those that are in the household as well. What in the world could be wrong with this girl? Is it too early to get psychiatric help?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

I’m no child expert – lets get that straight from the start. However, this situation seems no more normal to me than to you. I have to recommend that your granddaughter be evaluated by a pediatrician and either a child-psychiatrist or child-psychologist in the near future. Surely, your suspicions merit a checking-out by someone with the expertise to be able to advise properly. There are a variety of developmental and psychiatric disorders that can occur in childhood (such as autism, mental retardation, depression, etc.). Likewise, there are a variety of less-than-optimal situations that a child can be in (such as abuse, diet problems, etc.) that could possibly produce behavior such as you are witnessing. Don’t try to figure it out for yourself. Just bring your granddaughter (and daughter) to the proper medical authorities soon.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand