Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

My Son's Problem


I have a problem with my son. He is 26 years old and doesn’t like to go out. He found 2 different jobs that fired him after few days. He is hopeless and disappointed. He says what is the purpose of life? He is tired of everything. He says he cannot read, study hard and do hard work, but he needs money. He always watches TV and sits in front of computer. At the same time, he doesn’t come to Dr. or GP for consultant. He says he has not any problem and they have problem that they don’t offer him a job. Please direct me how can I help him? Thanks,Maria

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Dear Maria,

The pain and worry you experience with your son is very plain to see. I wish I could advise you about what to do but I am at a loss because he is refusing help.

Perhaps, if you urged him to see a Psychologist or Licensed Clinical Social Worker he would listen. What I mean is that you may need to be more energetic in urging him (I am not implying that you are not energetic) by telling him: "What do you mean you do not have problems? Of course you have problems, you sit in front of the television or the computer, and have lost two jobs." You can add that getting help will may make it easier for him to get and keep a job.

Also, it might help if you let him know how worried you are about him and that you wish he would seek help as a way of reducing your worry and anxiety. Sometimes a son or daughter will listen if they know they are helping someone else they love. You might even offer going with him for the first time.

Other than these things, I do not know what else I can offer in the way of advice. We cannot force someone to get help unless we know they are threatening suicide or homicide. Under those circumstances it is OK to call 911 for help. Other than that, no person can be forced to go and get help.

You are his mother and this is very painful. Again, try letting him know how worried you are.

Best of Luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand