My wife was diagnosed 14 years ago as clinically depressed. I have two beautiful daughters, 14 and 16 years old. I’m finding it difficult to live with my wife’s moods. She regularly says she hates me, and thinks I’m evil. She says she does not trust me. Since we have been married I have been totally faithful. I go to work and come home. I feel so lonely and depressed I guess there is no answer. What do you think?
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Address your feelings towards your wife and make sure she realizes your feelings and you don’t hide them away. Since you say she was clinically diagnosed I assume that she is going to a therapist, but if she is not, help her seek help. If both of you are comfortable with the idea you could also go to family therapy to help your relationship. I understand that you will be deeply hurt by what she says to you, but talking to her when she says these things, or afterwards, will help her become cognoscente of them; you also need to look for self-worth in other areas of your life. Best of luck, – Anne