1-888-993-3112

What Is Wrong With Me?

Question:

I am currently 22 years old. I have always been a good, cheery person. I work at a distribution center doing work involving heavy fast lifting and figuring numbers. For the past 5 months I have been having problems getting out of the house and communicating with people. I feel fatigue all the time and severe anxiety as well. I have trouble thinking and making decisions. People think I just don’t care because I haven’t been to visit them. I just don’t know how to act or be myself. It takes me forever to even get dressed and when I do I can’t make myself go out. Even around my family I feel nervous because I don’t know how to talk to anyone. I can’t concentrate very well. I don’t have an appetite and when I eat I feel sick. Anything that is in my stomach doesn’t stay there long because of constant diarrhea. I feel like I have been hit in the head with a stupid stick. I have always been really smart, now I am having trouble comprehending things and making sense. I forget things almost instantly. I feel so tired because I feel I never get any sleep even if I take sleeping medications. I have constant worrying about how to get better because this is not me. I feel extremely weak and my body isn’t getting nourishment because I can’t keep food in me. Please help me.

Answer:

It is tempting to say that you have all the symptoms of depression. However, you also report some digestive problems that could indicate something physical is going on.

It is always a mistake to overlook physical illnesses. There are many illnesses that can look like depression but are really symptomatic of a disease process or some organic disorder.

It is for this reason that I am strongly urging you to see your Medical Doctor. You need a full physical examination to find out why you are experiencing digestive problems and tiredness. If a disease or disorder are uncovered then, of course, it will be treated and you should return to your old way of being.

However, if the medical examination, including blood and urine tests, reveal that nothing is wrong, then it is time to get a referral to a clinical psychologist for an evaluation, diagnosis and psychotherapy. The psychologist may or may not recommend medication, depending on the severity of your symptoms.

It is also possible that, even if your medical doctor does find a physical illness of some type,that you may still feel depressed. We know that depression can weaken the immune system, making people more vulnerable to viruses and other problems. If that is the case then it would be a good idea to see a psychologist and enter psychotherapy.

You are a young person and something is wrong. Take the first step by seeing your doctor and, then, the next step, seeing a psychologist.

i feel the same symptomes as this girl said and i was 16 years on mediocines and improvment i think that science didnt get how to heal this illness yet :(

• paul Anderson

i have lots of problems