1-888-993-3112

No Clue What To Do. Help?

Question:

I’m 20 years old with no job, no car, and no friends. I feel like I’m stuck to this life I live because I don’t see any doors leading out. I knew something was wrong with me once I thought about the “easy way out.” That’s when I brought my depression up with my parents. They didn’t do anything about it because they think I’m just lazy and don’t apply myself as much as I should. Their lack of faith in me and my constant self-loathing is so engraved in my mind that it takes every ounce of strength to get out of bed. I don’t know how much more of this I can take. Please help?

Answer:

You are too young to believe that there are no doors open to you. That is your depressive thinking that is leading to such dismal conclusions. In actuality, you have every reason to feel optimistic about yourself and your future. You just do not see it as yet. That is what depression does.

At age 20 you do not need your parents to get psychological help for you. There are several options open to you. For instance, you can go to the emergency room of the hospital near to where you live and report that you are feeling both suicidal and extremely depressed. Emphasize that you are afraid of hurting yourself, and that is the truth. They will start the process of helping you. They might give you medication and refer you to a psychiatrist in the community or they might admit you to the hospital and stabilize you on medication. They are also able to apply for emergency medicaid for you so that your bills will be paid.

Another option is to see your private medical doctor or family doctor, assuming you have one, and ask for help. There are also free standing clinics that are not for profit organizations that provide mental health services.

It might be that either your doctor or the hospital are your best bets in terms of getting started on the road to health.

Don’t wait to go for help. Depression is very treatable and you can feel much better.

What if you already have saught professional help and it isn't helping you, if you still feel as bad or worse?