Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Not Allowed To Contact My Boyfriend


I have been by myself for seven long years after a former twelve year relationship finally ended. After my partner left however we did see each other for about 15 months. In that time we had no physical relationship but enjoyed each others company for dinner, movie etc. Finally we moved on and I have been alone since. Amazingly I met a man and of course was smitten straight away and after a short period began a physical relationship, however very early in the relationship he was tested for cancer and found to have a malignant growth in his back, he was operated on, and treated and I have not heard another word. I did get one phone call after the operation and before the treatment to say not to contact him, he would contact me, he was about to face an intense course of therapy but did not want to lose our friendship but did not want to be in contact either. Should I give up hope now or do you think there is a chance that he does intend to contact me in the future. I would like to know how he is good or bad.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

I don’t blame you at all for wanting to know how this friend of yours is doing. I find it sad, and quite selfish but maybe not so odd of him that he would push you away after learning he had a life-threatening condition. He must be afraid for his life, and perhaps ashamed of his ‘weakness’ and not wanting you to see him in that way. Or perhaps there are other reasons. In any event, I wouldn’t blame you for an instant if you attempted to contact him to see how he was doing. Perhaps there is some way to do so in a non-confrontational manner such as through a mutual friend, or via a hand written letter. You could communicate your love for him, your desire to support him, and your wish that he would grant you an audience. Using such non-confrontational methods would not put him on the spot and force a rash decision. If he doesn’t respond to your missive, I’d take that as a good lesson in how ready to be vulnerable this man is (not very), and I would do what I could to make myself available to other suitable gentlemanly company. There is no reason to sacrifice your own chances for romantic happiness to a man who has shut you out.

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand