Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Not There For Me


I have a big problem. I married a man I love, although he is not really there for me and has premature ejaculations. He doesn’t want help, and I am having a hard time with this. This has lead me to cheat on him only twice so far, but I realize I can be easily influenced. This situation is much more complex than I can share. Let me know what to do. Thanks.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Since I do not know the other complexities of your relationship, I will use the information provided to let you know what to do. First of all, you have committed adultery, which says to me that you can be easily influenced, unfortunately, at the expense of your relationship. It also says to me that you would rather be self-serving than try to work things out with your husband. I don’t exactly understand what you mean by your husband “not really being there for” you, but if it means that he’s often not around, and you’re having affairs, then your marriage is going to need a lot of help. Try to communicate better with each other about your needs as well as his. If your husband is self-conscious about his sexual problem, this could be a major reason for his being stand-off-ish or not wanting to seek help. His first step toward any recovery needs to come from you. I realize that you have needs as well, and I’m assuming it has been a long time since your needs were met, and thus, you felt the need for affairs. But, marriage is not all fun and games. It takes hard work, trust, communication, and love, not resentment. Communicate with your husband about how his not being there for you is hurtful to you, and you might also want to start your marriage recovery by finding out if there’s anything you can do on your part to help your husband with his premature ejaculation. Consider speaking with a sex therapist to learn how you can get him to be more attentive to your needs. And, as long as you intend to stay married to this man, honor your marriage vows, and stay faithful. Hope that helps, – Anne

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand