1-888-993-3112

OCD And Behaviour Problems

Question:

Our son suffers from ocd and this causes behaviour problems. He is on medication for this, he is taking seroxat and risperdal for this. We are so desperate for somebody to help us. The doctors say that they dont know what to do, and say he should be taken away and put in a young offenders centre because he hits his mother. He is not happy with the way her voice comes out and makes her cough all the while. He is also wants things so perfect and tidy. If things dont go right he gets angry and hits out. Please please help us. Is there any other treatment or therapy that could help us. Thank-you

Answer:

Yes there is. While medications are often the front line in helping children (and adults) with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), behavioral treatments can also help very much in establishing order in the household. You want to look around for a child psychologist trained in the ‘behavioral’ or ‘cognitive-behavioral’ paradigm. Such a psychologist would likely be able to help you learn how to handle your son so that you reinforce good behavior and do not reinforce problem behavior (such as the hitting). Just to allay your fears (if you have any) – physical punishment is not used in this sort of procedure. Rather, the psychologist helps you to identify what your child finds reinforcing and teaches you how to selectively remove that thing in such a way that your child will behave in order to get it back. Behavioral training is not an easy thing to do – as it relies on you as parents to do the work and there is little room for error, but it is pretty effective when it is done correctly. Good luck and my wishes for success in finding and implementing such a course of treatment.

• Cathy M McNa

I am a 58 yof that has functioned well as a law enforcement dispatcher for 15 years. I have had this job for 3 years and now when they found out I suffer from OCD and depression they had me leave work by stating that my mental illness would put them at a great liability and they no longer want me to perform my duties as a dispatcher. I was told to go home and they would get with me Friday to render their discision on termination. I am taking Lexapro at this time and the I do obsess about officer safety and when in a lot of stress I have turned to writing officers on the instant messenger. I know in my brain that I am not suppose to use the IM but I can't help it because it becomes so unbearable some of the comments rendered on me that I have to do it. It really has become more obsessive since last August when we lost an officer while I was on duty. I need to know why they are now rendering this on me at this point of my life where I am trying to cope with this brain disfunction.