Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

OCD And Behaviour Problems


Our son suffers from ocd and this causes behaviour problems. He is on medication for this, he is taking seroxat and risperdal for this. We are so desperate for somebody to help us. The doctors say that they dont know what to do, and say he should be taken away and put in a young offenders centre because he hits his mother. He is not happy with the way her voice comes out and makes her cough all the while. He is also wants things so perfect and tidy. If things dont go right he gets angry and hits out. Please please help us. Is there any other treatment or therapy that could help us. Thank-you

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Yes there is. While medications are often the front line in helping children (and adults) with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), behavioral treatments can also help very much in establishing order in the household. You want to look around for a child psychologist trained in the ‘behavioral’ or ‘cognitive-behavioral’ paradigm. Such a psychologist would likely be able to help you learn how to handle your son so that you reinforce good behavior and do not reinforce problem behavior (such as the hitting). Just to allay your fears (if you have any) – physical punishment is not used in this sort of procedure. Rather, the psychologist helps you to identify what your child finds reinforcing and teaches you how to selectively remove that thing in such a way that your child will behave in order to get it back. Behavioral training is not an easy thing to do – as it relies on you as parents to do the work and there is little room for error, but it is pretty effective when it is done correctly. Good luck and my wishes for success in finding and implementing such a course of treatment.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand