I am 24 year old student. I have OCD and depression and some other psychologiacal problems. I want to do career in acting and singing and film direction. I’m a very good singer. But because of my mental issues I face many problems. I have very poor communication skills and can’t handle sress well.
So, what should I do? What do you suggest? pls pls help
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Basically, what you need to do is enter psychotherapy to help you deal with these problems. In particular, I suggest Cognitive Behavior Therapy for both the depression and OCD. Be sure to find a therapist who is trained in CBT. That type of therapy works well with both depression and OCD. It will also help you learn to cope with your other psychologicall problems.
Actually, acting and singing would be therapeutic for you because it would force you to face the very problems you have. One method used in some forms of therapy, including CBT is what is called Exposure Therapy in which the patient must face those things that cause the symptoms of OCD to flare. In other words, avoidance never works well but learning from experience, even if it’s difficult, is always a growth experience.
Best of Luck