1-888-993-3112

OCD, Depression

Question:

I am 24 year old student. I have OCD and depression and some other psychologiacal problems. I want to do career in acting and singing and film direction. I’m a very good singer. But because of my mental issues I face many problems. I have very poor communication skills and can’t handle sress well.

So, what should I do? What do you suggest? pls pls help

Answer:

Basically, what you need to do is enter psychotherapy to help you deal with these problems. In particular, I suggest Cognitive Behavior Therapy for both the depression and OCD. Be sure to find a therapist who is trained in CBT. That type of therapy works well with both depression and OCD. It will also help you learn to cope with your other psychologicall problems.

Actually, acting and singing would be therapeutic for you because it would force you to face the very problems you have. One method used in some forms of therapy, including CBT is what is called Exposure Therapy in which the patient must face those things that cause the symptoms of OCD to flare. In other words, avoidance never works well but learning from experience, even if it’s difficult, is always a growth experience.