1-888-993-3112

Panic Attacks

Question:

I have been having panic attacks for no reason I can think of. Now I always think that some thing bad is going to happen to me. I am always stiff and can not relax. I am always low in mood now. I just can not make myself happy. I always get the thought that I am going crazy. What do you say I should do?

Answer:

Although this would seem cut and dry on the surface of it (panic disorder and possibly a co-existing depression) there are actually many possible things that might be going on. Please don’t self-diagnosis! Make an appointment to be properly diagnosed by a doctoral level mental health professional (Psychiatrist or Psychologist) so that you can get effective treatment for whatever your problems actually are. Because there are medical problems that can produce symptoms such as you are describing you should also visit with your general physician to rule these out (a psychiatrist can do this sort of medical exam as well). Assuming you find that you are dealing with a panic disorder problem – I will recommend that you consider seeking treatment with a Clinical Psychologist trained in Behavioral Therapy for panic disorder. This type of therapeutic approach is highly effective for the treatment of panic disorder, provides long lasting relief and has no medication side effects. Good Luck.